Breast augmentation can be used to enhance the size, shape, and overall appearance of the breasts, helping women to feel confident about their appearance. Some women who choose to undergo breast augmentation want to drastically increase the size of their breasts, while others may be looking for a more natural, modest look. For these women, small breast implants may provide the look they desire.
There are many things to consider when deciding to undergo breast augmentation. One factor we will focus on today is breast implant size, specifically the pros and cons of small breast implants. For more information, we welcome you to contact Victoria, TX plastic surgeon Brian F. Burns.
Why Choose Small Breast Implants?
Although many women think of breast augmentation as means to significantly increase the size of the breasts, not all women who wish to enhance their breasts want to drastically change their appearance. For these women, small breast implants may be the right choice. Small breast implants offer many advantages to consider when deciding on breast implant size. Some reasons to consider small breast implants include:
- Subtle enhancement: Small breast implants allow for a subtle enhancement of the size and shape of the breasts. Many patients like the subtle change because it makes it less obvious to friends and family that they underwent breast augmentation surgery.
- Provides a more natural result: Small breast implants are often more natural looking than larger implants, especially when placed in smaller framed women.
- Less traumatic on the body: The larger the implant, the more the breast tissue must be manipulated and stretched. This can lead to significant bruising and swelling following surgery, leading to discomfort and pain. Placing a small implant is often less traumatic on the body as it allows for less stretching and manipulation of the breast tissues.
- Easier recovery: Many who have had small breast implants find their recovery less painful than those who receive large breast implants. This is generally because small breast implants lead to less bruising and swelling than large implants.
- Decreased risk of complications: With small breast implants, there is less risk of capsular contracture, loss of nipple sensation, implant rupture, and other complications.
- Implant size can be increased later: Small breast implants can always be replaced with larger implants at a later time. Starting with small implants allows the breast tissue to gradually stretch and adjust to the larger size, making it less traumatic on the breasts if larger implants are placed at a later date.
Reasons Not to Choose Small Implants
Some reasons why small implants may not be the right choice include:
- Small implants are unable to provide the desired volume: Some may find that small implants are simply too small and unable to provide the desired volume to the breasts.
- Change in breast size is not drastic enough: The change to the breasts may not be drastic enough for some patients.
- Unhappy with final results: Once swelling from breast augmentation surgery goes down, some women may find that their breasts are not as large as they expected, causing them to be unhappy with the final results.
Find out More about Breast Augmentation
For more information about breast augmentation, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Burns.