Understanding Whether Breast Augmentation Is Right for You
Good candidates for breast augmentation are unhappy with small or disproportionate breasts. They must also be in generally good health and have realistic expectations of what they can hope to achieve. At South Texas Plastic Surgery, in Victoria, TX, Dr. Brian F. Burns can provide an evaluation and discuss your treatment options. Dr. Burns is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is passionate about maintaining close relationships with patients, from planning through post-operative care.
Who Can Benefit from Breast Implants?
Many women feel that their breasts are too small or do not complement their figure. In these cases, breast augmentation may be a viable solution to create definition and bring balance to the body. Few aesthetic procedures offer the fullness that breast augmentation can deliver. This procedure may be right for you if you wish to:
- Enhance the symmetry of your breasts
- Improve overall body proportions
- Restore volume to the breasts following pregnancy, nursing, or significant weight loss
- Achieve a more feminine figure
- Feel more confident and boost your body image
- Reconstruct your breasts following a mastectomy
Basic Candidacy Requirements
To qualify for breast augmentation, patients must meet a few criteria. Some candidacy requirements for this procedure include:
- Being in overall good health
- Understanding the risks associated with surgery
- Being at least 18 years old and having fully developed breasts
- Having realistic expectations about the breast augmentation procedure
Deciding to undergo breast augmentation is a very personal decision. Women should only pursue this treatment if it is something they desire for themselves. Patients should never undergo a procedure purely at the recommendation of a partner or significant other.
Good candidates for breast augmentation must be in generally good health and have realistic expectations of what they can hope to achieve.
During your initial consultation at our practice, Dr. Burns will talk in-depth with you about your concerns and aesthetic goals as well as the types of breast implants available. Then he will create a personalized treatment plan to achieve the look you desire.
What Breast Augmentation Surgery Cannot Provide
While breast augmentation can provide confidence and an improved physique, it is a surgery that requires a realistic assessment of long-term goals. Breast augmentation cannot offer:
- Dramatic increases in breast size: If you are an A cup, Dr. Burns will likely not recommend that you receive implants that produce a DD cup. While you can expect fullness and increased projection after treatment, our team works carefully to ensure realistic and complementary results.
- Correction of severely drooping breasts: A breast augmentation cannot correct breasts that are sagging or drooping. In these cases, a breast lift may be the best option for you. In fact, it is not uncommon to perform a breast lift in conjunction with breast augmentation. Combining these two procedures offers comprehensive results that can last for many years to come.
Learn More about Your Candidacy
If you are interested in breast augmentation, contact Dr. Burns at South Texas Plastic Surgery to schedule a consultation and learn more. Contact the practice online or call (361) 576-1975.