Personalized and Compassionate Care for a Smooth Breast Augmentation Recovery
The breast augmentation recovery process typically requires patients to limit activity for three to seven days after surgery, and patients can expect to return to work seven to ten days later. However, the entire healing timeline will ultimately depend upon the location of your incisions and the rate at which your body heals. Dr. Brian F. Burns n Victoria, TX, has extensive experience performing breast augmentation procedures, and he is dedicated to maintaining the highest possible safety standards to help you avoid complications. Dr. Burns makes himself available at every stage of recovery. He can not only provide thorough post-surgical guidelines before your procedure, but also his personal cell phone number. As such, you can reach him at any time after treatment with questions or concerns.
Your Breast Augmentation Recovery Timeline
While every breast augmentation recovery is unique, we can provide you with detailed instructions as to what to expect, so you feel prepared before your surgery. It is important to schedule a ride to and from surgery, and if possible, arrange for a friend or loved one to remain with you at your home for the first two days to help with daily chores around the house.
Two to Three Days after Surgery
Dr. Burns’ gentle techniques can greatly reduce discomfort after surgery. However, it is common to experience some inflammation, swelling, and bruising. You should minimize physical activity during this time to promote healing. You should also return to our office for a follow-up appointment to ensure no complications arise.
To make sure you always have access to a medical professional, Dr. Burns will provide his personal cell phone number. He encourages you to call him at any time if you are feeling concerned.
The First Week After Your Surgery
Within a week, discomfort should fade significantly, and you should be able to resume many of your activities. You should also be able to go back to work in seven to ten days. You can expect to attend another follow-up appointment, during which Dr. Burns can remove your stitches and provide you with updated information regarding your recovery.
You can expect to return to work and other normal activities within seven to ten days of surgery.
One to Two Months after Surgery
You can often resume light exercise about three weeks after breast augmentation. However, you will need to refrain from more strenuous activities, especially lifting, for four to six weeks. Dr. Burns can provide specific instructions regarding your exercise routine.
Steps for Successful and Safe Healing
There are several steps you can take to assist with proper healing. You should:
- Refrain from smoking several weeks before breast augmentation. Smoking interferes with blood flow and can slow your body's healing. You should also reduce or eliminate alcohol consumption.
- With your doctor’s approval, you should stop taking blood thinners, as well as medications and supplements that cause blood-thinning. These include ibuprofen and vitamin E.
- Eat a healthy diet both before and after surgery. You should choose lean proteins and foods that are high in calcium and vitamin K.
- Wear a compression bandage for at least one week and then transition to a special compression bra. You can usually wear a standard, underwire, or push-up bra six weeks after surgery.
- Sleep with your torso elevated for several weeks. By the six week mark, you can usually return to sleeping on your side.
- Use silicone gel or adhesive to minimize the appearance of scars.
- Keep all follow-up appointments with Dr. Burns and adhere to his instructions precisely. In some cases, he may demonstrate post-surgical massage techniques to perform at home, which can encourage proper healing.
Our team is dedicated to your care, comfort, and safety, and is available to answer any questions you may have prior to or after surgery.
Dr. Burns Is Committed to Your Safety and Wellbeing
It is our goal to help you achieve a smooth, steady recovery. To make sure you always have access to a medical professional, Dr. Burns can provide his personal cell phone number. He encourages you to call him at any time after treatment if you are feeling concerned. Furthermore, he can conduct all follow-up appointments himself, and prescribe medications necessary for your comfort.
Contact Us for More Information about Surgical Recovery
Schedule your personal consultation at South Texas Plastic Surgery, P.A. to review the steps of breast augmentation, as well as the cost and treatment timeline. Contact our office online for more information or call us at (361) 576-1975 or (866) 576-1975.