Eliminate Signs of Aging with Facelift Surgery
Environmental factors and the natural aging process can lead to sagging, deep lines, and a loss of elasticity in the skin. Patients who desire a fresher, more youthful appearance can benefit from a facelift procedure, but they often have questions about what facelift surgery entails. A full facelift is a multi-step treatment that involves anesthesia administration, incision creation, skin and tissue repositioning, and suturing and bandaging. At South Texas Plastic Surgery in Victoria, TX, Dr. Brian F. Burns uses advanced surgical techniques that minimize scarring and produce stunning results.
Many patients can benefit from a facelift, but they often have questions about what facelift surgery entails.
About the Facelift Procedure
Most facelift procedures can be completed in approximately three or four hours. However, because each surgery is catered to the individual needs of the patient, the length of the treatment can vary. The day of your procedure, Dr. Burns will perform these steps:
- Anesthesia: Patients have the option of undergoing general anesthesia, or having the procedure completed under a combination of mild sedation and local anesthesia. Sedation options will be discussed at length during your initial consultation with Dr. Burns.
- Incisions: To minimize the appearance of post-surgical scarring, Dr. Burns will strategically place incisions along the natural creases in the face and above the hairline. Typically, the incision will begin on the side of the head behind the hairline, run along the hairline down to the ear, and follow the crease between the ear and the cheek. It will then wrap around the earlobe and run to the lower scalp underneath the hair. This technique can be altered if necessary, depending on the unique needs of the patient. Those who are undergoing a mini or mid facelift will require fewer incisions.
- Skin and Tissue Repositioning: The underlying muscles will be artfully sculpted to define and enhance the facial features. The facial skin will be lifted, eliminating excess fat and tissue. This process is the most important part of the surgery. Dr. Burns will work conservatively, removing only the necessary amount of skin for a natural-looking, refreshed appearance.
- Sutures and Bandages: The incision lines will be carefully closed with stitches, and the treated area will be wrapped using bandages and compression garments. Occasionally, a drainage tube will be placed to discourage fluid from building up at the surgical site.
Patients who desire a fresher, more youthful appearance can benefit from a facelift procedure, but they often have questions about what facelift surgery entails.
Commonly Combined Procedures
To customize treatment, additional procedures can be performed in conjunction with a facelift, depending on the particular goals of the individual. Some of our patients who desire a more dramatic transformation choose to include other cosmetic or facial surgery procedures in their treatment plans, such as:
- Liposuction: Even with proper diet and exercise, some patients have difficultly eliminating stubborn pockets of fat. Liposuction is effective for removing fat deposits from the thighs, buttocks, abdomen, upper arms, hips, knees, chin, cheeks, or neck.
- Neck Lift: The neck is often one of the first areas affected by visible signs of aging. A neck lift can remove excess fat and skin, and tighten the neck area for a more contoured, youthful appearance.
- Eyelid Surgery: Some patients develop sagging skin or under-eye bags, which can make them look tired or older than they actually are. Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, can remove excess skin and fat to rejuvenate the eyes and make them appear more refreshed.
Learn More about Facelift Surgery
If you are interested in cosmetic surgery to define your facial features and enhance your appearance, schedule a visit with Dr. Burns. During an initial consultation, he can help you determine which combination of treatments will offer the results you desire. Call our office at (361) 576-1975 or contact us online.